- The color of a virgin olive oil can vary from pale yellow to deep green.
- The color is defined by the variety of olive, the degree of ripeness of the fruit at the time of harvesting, and climatic and soil conditions.
- The color of the olive oil has nothing to do with the taste and, of course, with its quality.
Do all virgin oil taste the same?
- No. Each virgin oil is different.
- Its flavor varies depending on the variety of the olive. Its place of growth, the degree of ripeness of the fruit, the soil type and the climatic conditions.
Is bitterness bad?
Absolutely no. Bitterness is a possitive attribute that is present in the best virgin oils to a greater or lesser extent. The same is true of a peppery taste.
What is Acidity?
- It is a chemical parameter which, along with others, helps define which commercial category each oil belongs to.
- Extra virgin olive oil should have a maximun acidity of 0,8%. In virgin olive oils, up to 2% acidity is accepted, and 1% acidity is accepted in olive oil.
- For correct storage, extra virgin olive oils should be kept away from light, heat, air and strong odors.
- Bottles with opaque or dark materials help better proctect the qualities of olive oil.
- It is important to always keep the bottle tightly closed to keep out oxygen.
Which olive oils goes best with each dish?
- It is a matter of personal taste, as with wine, salt, etc…
- As a guide, light fruity olive oils (such as aberquina, cornicabra, empeltre or arbosana varieties) are recommended for white fish, mayonnaise, chicken, vegetables or deserts. Intense fruity olive oils (such as picual, hojiblanca or cornicabra varieties) are recommended for oily fish, vegetables like brocoli, salads and meats among others.
You can fry with olive oil?
- Yes, of course. It is the best oil to use in this cooking technique because it is the most ressitant to high temperatures.
- At high temperatures (up to 180º C), olive oils, create a thin a consistent layer on the food which prevents oil absorption. Thus, it makes food juicy ans succulent, while keeping all its properties. Since olive oil does not penetrate food, fried food is lighter and more nutritious and digestible.
Cooking and properties
Does virgin olive oil lose some of its properties when heated?
- Some of the components that give the virgin olive oil its aroma and flavor evaporate with heat, so its intesity may be reduced.
- However, some of these components are what allow the oil to be cooked at high temperatures by limiting its degradation and extending its life.
Spain, The Best Olives Oils
Jaen Province in Andalusia is the World Capital of Olive Oil.